As the holidays quickly approach and dreams of turkey, stuffing, and parades fill our thoughts, it can be all too easy to forget what you’re thankful for. Thanksgiving really is a special time to be thankful for great families, fortunate events, caring friends, amazing communities, and all the gifts of life we’re all lucky to have. So instead of stressing over dinner, decor, and guest lists, I’m going to take some time to reflect on what makes me thankful. Here are 5 things I am especially thankful for this year.
- My Family. I grew up here in San Antonio and finally made my way back a few months ago (after 8 years of missing it). And now, it’s super nice to have the convenience of my parents living only 7 minutes away. I am most thankful for sharing meals and spending quality time with them this year! My dad’s side of the family lives in town, so it is easy to have everyone around when celebrating any sort of holiday or big life event. For Thanksgiving, we all go over to my grandmother’s house and indulge on the biggest meal of the year. My Mimi is the best cook I know and she never disappoints! When we sit down for the meal, we will give thanks and recognize that even though my grandpa is no longer with us, Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday (because of all the awesome food) and we eat as much as we can, just for him.
- My Friends. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by amazing friends that love and care for me. Thankfully, most of my friends live in Texas, so for the ones that don’t live as close, we always try to get together at least twice a year because even though we don’t see them as often, we love them all the same! I’m even more blessed to have a big community of friends right here in San Antonio. We spend time together almost weekly and always celebrate holidays and the “big stuff” together. In fact, we are having our “Friendsgiving” party this week!
- The Holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, the New Year and all of the parties and festivities in between! I’m thankful for this season of giving and how it makes everyone and everything more cheerful. I love all the traditions, old and new, and I love doing them with my friends and family.
- My Starbucks. My thanks goes out to the coffee barista at Starbucks who knows my order by memory. Thank you for knowing that I like skim milk, minimal ice and all things pumpkin spice! My current holiday favorites include: pumpkin spice and chestnut praline EVERYTHING.
And last, but certainly not least!
- My Job. Thankfully, I enjoy my day-to-day life at work! Although I’ve only been working at ATKG for a few months, I can already say that this is definitely something I am thankful for this year. The “rock star” people here have been great to work with and they certainly mean it when they say “work hard, play harder!” Every day has been something new and fun and I look forward to spending my first busy season with these ATKGers!
Wishing you all the happiest of Thanksgivings and hoping you enjoy this holiday season!
Sarah Bryant, Senior